Demands on Doctor’s time with each consultation and the need to see urgent cases may cause delays. Reception staff will endeavour to inform you of any delays as you arrive. Please phone ahead of your appointment if a time delay will inconvenience you. If you are unable to keep your appointment, please phone reception to arrange another time that is more suitable. We require 24 hour cancellation notice to enable us to offer that appointment time to another patient.
We advise all patients to a make appointment with their regular GP for renewal of scripts. This service will be bulk-billed. In circumstances that prevent this, please allow a 24 hour time frame for doctors to attend to your request. A non-refundable fee will be charged for this service.
Home and Other Visits
The practice provides a complete range of medical care, including home, hospital and nursing home visits for regular patients whose condition prevents them from attending the surgery and who live within 5km of the surgery. These can be arranged by contacting the surgery.
Incoming telephone calls to doctors are restricted to matters of medical urgency. Emergency calls will always be put through to your GP.
Please note that there are signs within the surgery stating that mobile phones are to be turned to SILENT.
Test and Investigation Results
For the convenience of all, routine phone calls for the result of tests and procedures are best made between the hours of 12.30pm and 1.30pm or after 4.30 pm. However, it is advisable to make an appointment to obtain results and to plan further follow-up care. Reception staff cannot provide a patient with medical results.
Our practice is committed to preventive care. Your doctor will seek your permission to be included on our reminder system. We will issue you with a reminder notice from time to time offering you preventive health services appropriate to your care. Please notify us if you do not wish to participate in this system.
Personal Health Information Management
Your medical record is a confidential document. It is the policy of this practice to maintain security of personal health information at all times and to ensure that this information is only available to authorised members of staff. We abide by the ten National Privacy Principles, refer: www.privacy.gov.au/health/index.html
General Practice today is best treated as a collaboration between the doctor and the patient. It follows then that you will get more out of your consultation if you follow a few simple suggestions:
- Make appointments with your preferred doctor (if available) as often as possible and ask for longer time that usual if your problem is complex or if you have more than on topic to discuss.
- Your GP in turn will try to keep to the scheduled appointment times but delays cannot always be avoided.
- Communication is a two-way street so talk openly about what’s worrying you, even the ‘little things’.
- Make a list of the questions that you want to ask and of the medications you may need. Let your doctor know all the medicines which you are taking, whether from the supermarket, chemist, herbalist or naturopath; they are still drugs, whether ‘natural’ or not, and can inter-react with one another.
- Ask for information which you can read at home at your leisure.
- Plan together how you may lead a healthier life and possible avoid future problems. If you have any ideas on how to make your consultation more effective, we would be very happy to hear from you.
This practice is accredited through AGPAL ensuring we are committed to quality improvement to provide you with the best possible care by continually reviewing our policies and procedures. However, despite our best intentions, dissatisfaction and grievances may occur. We have procedures in place that may assist you if this occurs.
Please feel free to talk to your doctor or receptionist or you may prefer to write to us. We take all your concerns, suggestions and complaints seriously.
Note: Please advise GP of your emergency contact and of your cultural background.
Allied Health Services
This Practice provides the following health services through visiting allied health professionals: Psychology & Dietician.
TRIAGE POLICY DETAILS
It is our policy at Withcott Medical that URGENT cases are seen immediately – please advise reception if you are experiencing:
• CHEST PAIN
• ALLERGIC REACTION
• BREATHING DIFFICULTIES
Many thanks from the Withcott Medical Team